Easy reading HTML?

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Tue Feb 22 16:56:30 EST 2000

[Martin Skøtt, on Tue, 22 Feb 2000]

:: I am currently in the thinking process of writing a little python
:: program to sort my Netscape bookmarks file. It is so smart that this
:: bookmark file is a simple HTML file which I am now looking for an easy
:: way to read.
:: What I need is a function to parse tables which are used to handle
:: folders in the menu and <A HREF ...> tags. In the <A HREF..> I need to
:: know the address it points to and its title (which is the one I want
:: to sort on).
:: Do you have any smart ideas you want to share? I guess its htmllib I
:: need but I don't know where to start with it.

Consider using 4DOM as an alternative to htmllib (or sgmllib).

Take a look at http://www.pythonjournal.com/volume1/issue2/art-4dom/
for a nice tutorial.