Haskell or Python!

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Thu Feb 3 19:25:50 EST 2000

Jason Stokes <jstok at bluedog.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Sunil Hadap wrote in message <38994478.72056B85 at cui.unige.ch>...
> >
> >- Can I use traditional OO concepts in Haskell though it is Functional
>
> Yes.  Haskell is fully object oriented.

Is this true? Haskell has overloading, but its type system doesn't
support subtyping, and overloaded methods are chosen at compile time
rather than based on the runtime type. Instead, you use pattern
matching to replace what subtyping and runtime method selection give
you in OO languages.

It's all very slick, but it doesn't feel very OO to me. Haskell is
just put together in a different (but not worse) way.

Neel