tkinter help?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Wed Feb 9 13:36:43 EST 2000

the my-deja.com attempt to take over comp.lang.python continues:
> I had Python 1.5.1 working fine with tkinter on mkLinux, then decided to
> upgrade to 1.5.2.  The short version is that now tkinter doesn't work
altho I
> had edited /Modules/Setup and  everything seemed to compile ok.  Following
> the suggested test procedures, I can do import Tkinter and import
_tkinter,
> but  when I do Tkinter._test(), I get: XIO: Fatal IO error 0 (unknown
error)
> on X server ":0.0"  after 18 requests (17 known processed) with 1 events
> remaining.  and Python shuts down. I assume that X is unhappy about
something
> (I am running kde),  but I am at a loss to understand what. If anyone has
any
> suggestions about resolving this,  I'd be most grateful for your help.

http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#3.27

    "The reason is that the default Xlib is not
    built with support for threads. If you rebuild
    Xlib with threads enabled the problems go
    away. Alternatively, you can rebuild Python
    without threads ("make clean" first!)."

</F>

<!-- eff-bot tip of the day: if you get a strange error message,
try searching for that message on the python site, and in the
Python newsgroup archives: http://www.python.org/search/
-->