os.environ is empty in JPython

James Henstridge james+news at daa.com.au
Fri Feb 11 03:28:28 EST 2000

In order to be secure (or something), the developers of java decided
that programmers don't really need to access environment variables.

If you want your jpython (or java) program to access the QUERY_STRING
environment variable, either write a java extension that calls getenv
for you, or wrap the program in a shell script that passes the
QUERY_STRING environment variable on the command line:
  #!/bin/sh
  exec java program "$QUERY_STRING"

(you can probably work out what to do if you are using windows)

This second option is probably easier to do if you only need access to a
few environment variables, but if you need access to all the environment
variables, the java extension is probably the way to go.

James.