Corel + Borland = The End of MS Win

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at quantisci.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 05:30:20 EST 2000

Paul Boddie wrote:

> thucdat1143 at my-deja.com wrote:
> > Check this out: www.ruby-lang.org to see what IBM is talking about Ruby.
>
> The IBM article [1] is rather amusing. At every point of comparison between
> Ruby, Python and Perl, examples of Ruby and Perl, but not Python, are given to
> "demonstrate" Ruby's syntactic superiority.

I received the following from the author of that article (in reply to
the message below).

Most interesting quote:
"""I thought it was pretty clear that the
difference between python and Ruby - at this point - is largely one of
taste
and aesthetics."""
 - that's not the impression that I got from reading that article!!

Dear Mr. Robinson,
I'm sorry you did not like my article and I appreciate the comments and
understand your concerns.  The intent of the article was not to
misleadingly
sell Ruby over either Python or Perl, but to get people excited over a
new
language that has a lot to offer.  I thought it was pretty clear that
the
difference between python and Ruby - at this point - is largely one of
taste
and aesthetics.  But you are right, the comments ought to have been
backed
up with more concrete examples.  Thanks for your input,
Sincerely,
Maya Stodte