Where is Imaging.h?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Feb 17 14:22:13 EST 2000

Moshe Zadka writes:
 > Well, Fred, that is harder then you think. (It shows that you're using
 > Solaris at CNRI). Consider a regular Linux Python user. He installed
 > Python from the .deb (well, okay, I didn't mean regular regular, but the
 > same argument goes for .rpm), so it is in /usr/bin/python. But when he
 > installs, say, PIL from the sources, he wants it in /usr/local/lib/...
 >
 > That is, don't confuse the directory Python was installed in and the
 > directory the users want to install new sparkling Python modules in.

  An excellent point.  I don't know how important it is.
  Python extensions, at least under Unix, are built for particular
Python setups.  That tells me that there should be someplace
associated with that Python installation that is used for includes as
well as installed extension modules, which points to the site-python
approach.  You're making it sound like the site-python dirs should be
located in /usr/local even if the "native" installation is in /usr for
these modern Linux distributions that stick everything in /usr.
  I don't know what the "right" solution is, but I suspect it involves
separating the prefix/exec-prefix versions of site-python from the
prefix/exec-prefix of Python.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>