jack, curses and rpms

Juergen A. Erhard jae at ilk.de
Thu Feb 24 21:35:34 EST 2000

[...]

    >> Okay, so I got cursesmodule.c from the CVS... tried to patch it with
    >> the included diff... which failed.
    >>
    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> So, I checked that... and found that I needed the cursesmodule.c from
    >> the Python RPMs.  I got that and patched it... and all's well.
    >>

    Gordon> If the cursesmodule.c in the RPM differs from cursesmodule.c
    Gordon> from the official 1.5.2 download, you've got a legitimate gripe
    Gordon> with Debian. Presumably they'll pick up what you're seeing in
    Gordon> CVS when it becomes the official 1.6.

I think I expressed it clearly enough, but so what... I did get the
cursesmodule.c from the Python(!) CVS (the one that is on python.org).

The patch from the jack tarball didn't work with that, but with the
cursesmodule.c from the RPMs...

I investigated a little more... the module in the RPMs is 1.5b2 (by
Oliver Andrich), whereas the module in the Python CVS is 2.19 (okay,
that is a CVS revision...).

Both are apparently based on Lance Ellinghouse' revision 1.2.

Now, *that* is pretty ancient (the latest entry in the `Change Log:'
is `Version 1.2: 95/02/23 (Steve Clift)'.

The last change in CVS was 13 months ago...

Why two versions?  Did Oliver forget to submit his patches to Guido
(et al)?  Or did Guido not accept them?  If so, why not?

What needs to be done to synchronize the canonical Python and the
Python RPMs?

Bye, J

PS: BTW, I check the Debian source package for 1.5.2-6 (the latest in
frozen potato ;-) The cursesmodule.c in there is the same (byte for
byte, I just checked) as the one in CVS (again, Python CVS).

PPS: I hope I haven't missed some secret Python CVS... but if it's
secret, I *had* to miss it ;-)

- --
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae at ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
              My WebHome: http://JuergenErhard.tripod.com
               GTK - Free X Toolkit (http://www.gtk.org)
   "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."  -- Bruce Schneier