Case Sensitivity and Learnability

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Feb 2 13:27:40 EST 2000

Glen Starchman wrote:

> Case sensitivity is a wonderful thing. With a language like VB which is not
> case-sensitive (although the IDE will change all occurences of a variable to the
> first defined case)  the developer may refer to objPerson as OBJperson,
> oBJPeRsOn, etc... personally I find this annoying, and a terrible practice to
> get into if the developer then has to write C code!

If the IDE normalizes case for you, what's the problem?

One of Visual Basic's great features is that the IDE helps you *a lot*
to get things right. It is perfect for newbies. Python's case
sensitivity would not be a problem if there was an IDE that detected
when you had misused case and corrected it for you (...this probably
requires type annotation....)

Maybe the CP4E *debugger* should detect case sensitivity problems at
runtime and should just "fix up" the source code.

"Ivory towers are no longer in order. We need ivory
networks. Today, sitting quietly and thinking is the
world´s greatest generator of wealth and prosperity."
 - http://www.bespoke.org/viridian/print.asp?t=140