Porting Python to non-pc platforms (AS/400)

Jay Graves JGRAVES3 at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 10:18:28 EST 2000

Skip Montanaro wrote in message
<14515.61844.349673.829968 at beluga.mojam.com>...

>    Scott> Considering that the 400 has pretty much a complete POSIX
>    Scott> environment, more than likely a port will mainly consist of
>    Scott> figuring out the include directories and compiler flags.
>
>So if someone has the pocketbook for the compiler, perhaps the community
can
>pitch in with help on the port...

I have traded some email with Scott and we've talked about the options.
Here are some highlights of those conversations.

JPython is probably the best bet for something 'now'.  I've got JPython I
just haven't had the time to put it on my AS400.  This would give alot of
functionality because IBM has written Java classes for alot of native OS/400
objects.

CPython is probably easily doable by someone with experience and a C
compiler.  (or experience and someone's $$$ for the compiler).  OS/400's
command structure is much different than POSIX so I would be concerned about
how well the interactive portion would mesh.  It might just be a question of
writing the modules to support the idiosyncrasies of the 400.

IBM might be convinced to do the port.  They ported Perl to the AS/400.

Lastly the AS400 community.  I'm going to post to the AS400 newsgroups and
try to drum up some interest.  Hopefully someone who has the C compiler can
be convinced to try a port.

Thanks for all of your input.  I'm sure I'll be back with questions for the
group.

Jay Graves