Porting Python to non-pc platforms (AS/400)

Jay Graves JGRAVES3 at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 08:43:00 EST 2000

Peter Sommerfeld wrote in message ...
>>Its about $1200 for my machine.
>Big bucks :-(

And my machine is the smallest software 'tier' you can have.  The C compiler
for the highest tier is over 28,000.  Granted a machine of that tier would
cost probably over 1.5 million

>Python itself shouldn't be the problem. But there is is some platform
>specific stuff which might be harder. Consider porting JPython, the Java
>implementation of Python. Write once, run everywhere (???).

I have DL JPython but I haven't installed it anywhere yet.  This probably
would be a good fit because IBM has already written a bunch of Java classes
to interface with the native objects (data queues, job queues, spool files,
etc)  If I understand it correctly these will be directly usable in JPython.
This is probably the quickest course because I have Java on my 400 now and I
semi-understand it.  (I can recognize Java programs 3 out of 3 times (-:  )

Thanks for your input.

Jay Graves