IIS + ASP + <#@Language=Python#>== performance_hit

Tom Funk no_spam_tdfunk at nettally.com_spam_sux
Thu Feb 24 16:59:33 EST 2000

A similar thread started here a few weeks ago, then seemed to die.  There
was no definitive answer, though.

I've noticed a *definite* performance hit from my ISP when their IIS
server delivers pages containing <#@Language=Python#>.  There seems to be
a consistent 7-8 second delay while serving such pages.  Pages that don't
use this directive, or that specify VBScript or JavaScript, don't suffer
the same fate.

I tested with an ASP page that looks like this:

  <#@Language=Python#>
  <!-- or VBScript or JavaScript or nothing at all -->
  <head>

This page should load nearly instantaneously.  However, using Python with
@Language causes a consistent 7-8 second delay.  There's no *discernable*
delay for VBScript, JavaScript or when the Language directive is skipped
completely.

A previous suggestion was to change the default language for the site
from VBScript (or JavaScript) to Python.  Did anyone try this?  Does this
actually work? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?   Could
some portion of the Python run-time be recompiling on each call (i.e.,
IUSR_COMPUTERNAME doesn't have write access to a directory on PYTHONPATH
and the .pyc files are never created)?

My ISP tends to be slow to respond to requests, so before I ask them to
monkey around with my site's IIS settings, I'd like to know if what I'm
asking for will actually work.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas D. Funk                           |       "Software is the lever
(no_spam_tdfunk at asd-web.com_no_spam)     |Archimedes was searching for."
Software Engineering Consultant          |
Advanced Systems Design, Tallahassee FL. |