Status of processes running inside an object

Thomas Weholt thomas at bibsyst.no
Thu Feb 3 08:54:07 EST 2000

Hi,

What`s the best method, if do-able, to get info about a process running
inside a object?

Here`s an example :

I got a cd-object that scans thru a cd and does alot of stuff with the
things it discovers. How could I track the progress of the scanning
procedure without making alot of print "Scanning files ...", print
"Indexing documents ...." etc. in the object-code?

Is there a way of tracking the state of processes inside an object
without printing stuff inside the object itself or stopping in the
process so that code outside the object can check the contents of the
object??

This is probably impossible, crazy or <insert_word>, but I`d like some
ideas.

Thanks.

Thomas