BSDDB copyright and licensing restrictions while in use viaPython

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Wed Feb 16 04:15:28 EST 2000

Hello!

   Dear Fred, don't get me wrong - I am not flaming on you. Before, I use
Berkeley DB a little (doing Netscape's history files manipulations), but
never touched MetaKit. After your message I downloaded and installed
Metakit on Linux and Solaris - just to test it. I found it a little behind
of BSDDB on quality. ./configure don't work quite right, generated Makefile
has errors (README says about them :). Tarball is packed strange (all text
files are executable).
   I think MetaKit is not such a perfect solution, but may be I just wrong.
And what's wrong with using Berkeley DB 2.0+ ?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.russ.ru> wrote:
> > > metakit: fast, efficient, small, highly portable,
> > > great python interface, and free.
> >
> >    Hm, portable? Well, exerpt from README:
> >
> >    I cannot consider it "portable". Oh, yes, I have exactly 2.8.1, even
> > worse, on Solaris 2.5.1.
>
> considered using a recent version of gcc?
> after all, the upgrade is free.

   No, it is not. Opensource software is not so cheap. It is free - like in
freedom - but not cheap. I need to pay with my time, and no - my time is
not cheap :)
   BTW, I guess your time is even less cheaper, so I want to thank you for
taking part in the discussion. Credits to you, now I have MetaKit
installed, and will try to test it some more.

> > No other program reveals bugs in 2.8.1.
>
> cool. but if that was true, why did they
> release 2.95.2?

   Really, why does anyone do anything, and later improve it? :) I think it
is not about bugs, at least not only bugs - it's about new feature and
other improvements, no?
   But being a paranoid sysadmin, I prefer to install rather old - but
well-tested - software. 2.7.2.3 and 2.8.1 do good for me (except for
MetaKit) - why install new gcc? It is problem with little poor boy named
MetaKit, not gcc, I think.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2 at earthling.net