Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Neil Hodgson neilh at hare.net.au
Mon Feb 7 19:30:47 EST 2000

> If python code were to become mis-formatted (and given my
> experience, I have to believe that sooner or later this _will_
> happen) there is _no way_ to be certain what the original
> author's intent was, much less to fix it automatically.  This
> is a Bad Thing(tm).

   I'd like to understand what 'mis-formatting' you are worried about.
Either Python code is syntactically valid or it is not. If the original
author has given you syntactically valid Python, then it has an unambiguous
structure and can be reformatted to use any spacing / tabbing approach you
wish to standardise on.

   Neil