Which GUI?

Vetle Roeim vetler at ifi.uio.no
Thu Feb 17 09:31:48 EST 2000

* J. C. Travers
> Anders M Eriksson wrote:
> > But now I'm reaching the point of no return and I need to create apps
> > with a GUI, but which one?
> >
> > I'm using Windows NT as my development platform
> > I would like pro and cons for the different GUI's
>
> This is a hot topic, and you will get as many different answers as
> people you ask, so all I can give is my personal opinion.
>
> Firstly, I would advise against Tkinter. For some reason Tkinter is
> relativly popular (it's portable I suppose), but it is probably the
> hardest GUI to code in (i.e. it is built on top of Tcl and so has to use
> some of the style of that scripting language). Also, it lacks some key
> widgets (i.e. it lacks multiple coloumn list boxes and tables... these
> can be added on third party however, but this is just more work).

Tk the hardest GUI to code? not in my experience.. I think it's very
easy to use. (But this is probably based on feelings rather than
technical arguments, and it's really no point in discussing ;)).

The fact that it lacks some widgets is true, but Pmw (Python
MegaWidgets) extends Tkinter with many interesting widgets.

I-hope-this-doesn't-start-a-gui-war-<wink>-ly y'rs, vr