REMINDER: DCPIGgies, March 13

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Feb 28 14:35:58 EST 2000

The next DCPIGgies meeting is only two weeks away!

We will be having our first DCPIGgies (DC Python Interest Group)
meeting of the year on Monday March 13, 2000 from 7:30pm to 9:00pm at
CNRI in Reston, Va.  Please RSVP to me, jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us.

Speaker: Scott Cotton

            Static Type and Interface Checking for Python
              General Review and Fundamental Decisions

                              Abstract
                              ----------
This presentation reviews various possible ways of adding static type
checking to python.  The problem poses two questions:

    1) What sort of static type checking system would be most
    appropriate for python?
    2) By what means may static type checking be made optional?

A decision tree for each question is presented based on a combination
of type theory, an understanding of python, and properties that have
become apparent in the development of a sample type checking system.
Finally, we discuss some overall approaches that would maximize the
benefits and/or minimize the drawbacks of adding optional static type
checking to python.

Scott will be speaking from 8:00 to 9:00pm.  We will have food and
introductions starting at 7:30pm.  We may also have some time after the
talk for Q&A with Guido and Barry on Python and JPython.

Pizza, salad, and soda will be provided courtesy of Foretec Seminars.
Please RSVP by email to jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us.  I need to know how
many people will attend and how many will be eating pizza.

Directions to CNRI can be found on the Web:

    http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/directions.html

Mailing list: There is a mailing list for people interested in
DCPIGgies meetings; see
    http://www.python.org/mailman/listinfo/dcpiggies.
This is a low volume list for announcing meetings, arranging to share
rides, and other thrilling PIGgy topics.

See you there!
Jeremy