Wrapper for Cosmo3D swig vs c++

bjorn bjorn at roguewave.com
Tue Feb 8 13:14:42 EST 2000

I haven't used CXX, so I can't give you any comparisons...  However, as
far as swig goes, it's only a very minor perfomance hit in converting the
arguments to and from Python objects.  Any routine that is too slow should
be relatively easy to translate to c/c++ and then swig.

It also seems like you're under the misconception that swig will take your
c++ header files and generate shadow classes directly.  Unfortunately this
is not true.  With some work (sometimes a lot of work) it can be possible
to get swig to parse a c++ header file, most of the time it is better to
just bite the bullet and write the interface file.  Areas to watch out for
are inline code, and overloads (I once wrote an elaborate scheme to get
overloading of the basic types from Python, which worked although it
wasn't very pythonesque).

--bjorn