[CORBA] omniNames feature request

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Feb 15 18:25:02 EST 2000

In article <slrn8ai0ni.5ne.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>,
Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:
>In article <p6qzot3iulv.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>, Martin von Loewis wrote:
>
>>IANA has assigned port 2809 for CORBA bootstrapping purposes. The INS
>>spec assumes this as the default in the corbaloc URLs; the default
>>object key for the name service is "NameService".
>
>Wow...that is dang cool.  I'll definately keep this in mind.  The idea being
>that there is a way to construct an IOR manually that is bound to the IIOP
>protocol, using an arbitrary hostname (as determined by the requirements of
>the application), port 2809, and dedicated object key of "NameService", and
>I'm assuming also "TradingService" and others.  Wow...this will utterly blow
>(D)COM away.

Well, the INS does not, strictly, permit you to synthesize your own IOR; it
does provide for means to pass the appropriate parameters (host, port) to your
ORB and let *it* do the synthesizing (there may be negotiations involved with
the ORB of the NS).  You then get access to it through the ORB:

  ns = orb.resolve_initial_references( "NamingService" )

Normally, the only service which must be bootstraped is the NS;  the others
will presumably be found from the NS (the mechanism will still be to call
resolve_initial_references(), though).

What's-in-a-name'ly,

Tres.