Module import problem

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Feb 28 19:30:37 EST 2000

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

> I'm having the dumbest problem trying to import a module.  I can't figure
> it out at all.  Basically, I'm on a win32 system.  The directory
> \py152\lib is on my python path, and I'm trying to import the module
> \py152\lib\gadfly\gadfly.py.
>
> So, I use this:
> import gadfly.gadfly

This only works if gadfly is a package. A package is a
directory on sys.path that has an __init__.py (which may be
empty) in it. You could try adding an (empty) __init__.py. It
will probably work.

Generally, if you're installing something that is not
packagized, you should use a .pth file. E.g., if you unzipped
gadfly to d:/chordate/gadfly, then you should create a file
\py152\gadfly.pth
with one line:
d:/chordate/gadfly