os.shell, recursion, encryption

55555 55555 at dakotacom.net
Mon Feb 14 14:16:55 EST 2000

How does os.popen work?  I'm afraid that I don't understand pipes.  I
thought they had something to do with commands like 'blah >> blah2' which
would append blah2 with blah, right?  If that is a pipe then that's all I
know what to do with it.  Can it be used to send a command like 'pkzip
-sasdf asdf.zip *.txt' and return without generating a bunch of windows?
Thanks.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:40:54 +0100, Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com>
wrote:
> 55555 at dakotacom.net wrote on 950483324:
> > I'm spawning pkzip for dos using os.shell() because I would like to
use the encryption
> > feature.  As far as I can tell that is not available in the gzip
library and the
> > documentation on the cryptography toolbox didn't give me the
impression that all the bugs
> > were worked out.  Does anyone know whether that has changed?
>
> Hmm, please type your lines a little shorter.
> It's not a bug: cryptograhy and archiving are two different things. Only
> Dos/Windows archivers combine them in one program.
>
> > Anyway, os.shell() pops up a new dos box for each call. I'm using
os.path.walk() and
> > making a lot of calls to the zip program.  I'm wondering if there is a

way to not spawn
> > 40 windows.  0 windows would be ideal.
>
> What about os.system()? Or os.popen (does it exist on dos?)?
>
> > Finally, I'm wondering if there is a way to attach to a global
variable while moving
> > around with os.path.walk()?  I understand recursion and have read
Python's scope rules