COM and python

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Feb 9 17:12:50 EST 2000

"ASCarpenter" <carpenterasNOcaSPAM at mpco.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:04e9bbf8.f292f07f at usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com...
> Is there anyone who can give me some hints on how to get to a custom
> COM component from python.

If it does not use IDispatch, then you must write a DLL.  There are
tools to generate the .cpp source code, but it is significant work
none-the-less.

> Makepy won't work because it exposes the
> interface from IUnknown, not IDispatch.

This would imply the component does not support IDispatch at all.  If
the component does, but makepy doesnt work with it, then I definately
want to know.

> From what I can tell I need to add an extension to python, but I'm
> wondering how to deal with the object instantiation and reference
> counting.
> Any examples out there?

All of the win32comext sub-directories.

> Also, does anyone know if this is covered in Mark's book (guess I'll
> drop a name because I see it so often here), in which case I can
wait
> for that to turn up.

Not in any detail Im afraid...

Mark.