MetaKit for python (Mk4py) on Macintosh ... no way :(

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Feb 28 03:41:29 EST 2000

Arnaud Fontaine <arnaud at crao.net> wrote:
> Fine ... if I was able to use it with python on my Mac :(
>
> Here is the output from python's shell when trying to import the lib :
>
> Python 1.5.2c1 (#56, Apr 12 1999, 14:19:52)  [CW PPC w/GUSI w/MSL]
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<input>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: PythonCore: An import library was too new for a client.
> >>>

> Any clue ????????

quoting Jack Jansen from the pythonmac mailing list:

    http://www.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/1999-December/003186.html

    MacPython dynamic modules aren't portable between releases. The
    machinery is there, but because PythonCore also contains the whole C
    library the version number has to be upped not only for python API
    version number changes but also for new C libraries. The error message
    comes from the MacOS dynamic loader, which actually _checks_ that a
    dll is compatible with the version used during compilation (unlike
    some Other OS that shall remain nameless, which happily lets your
    application crash lateron:-)

(I suspect that it means "wrong version" rather than "too new"
in this case)

</F>