Which GUI?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Fri Feb 18 01:52:44 EST 2000

Hello,

Joel Lucsy wrote on 950802286:
> >      Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for Python yet?
>
> Well, it's little too cumbersome in terms of size of redistribution (as far
> as Windows is concerned). It has a 1.7meg pyd, not to mention various other
> pyd's as well.

Tcl/Tk is much larger.
$ du -chs /usr/X11R6/lib/{tk8.0,tk4.2,libtk8.0.a,libtk4.2.a} /usr/lib/python/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
851K    /usr/X11R6/lib/tk8.0
753K    /usr/X11R6/lib/tk4.2
795K    /usr/X11R6/lib/libtk8.0.a
708K    /usr/X11R6/lib/libtk4.2.a
791K    /usr/lib/python/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
3,8M    total

Only Tk 8.0 is already 851K + 795K = 1646K, with _tkinter.so it's 2437K.

> I can think of other things, but this is the showstopper for me right now.

What about pyQT?

> I'm currently trying to use pyFLTK, but am quite disappointed that the
> controls can't be subclassed. I'm taking a stab at rewriting it, but no
> success yet.

I think I'll make another point 'can be subclassed' in my comparison.

regards,
Gerrit.

--
cat: /home/gerrit/.signature: No such quote or joke