Problem : using ADO in ASP

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 7 09:41:26 EST 2000

Mark Hammond wrote:

> "Steve Holden" <sholden at bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> news:38998BC0.2760828B at bellatlantic.net...
> > Aaarrrggghhh ...
>
> > (<COMObject Execute>, -1)
>
> It appears the "Execute" method returns 2 values - the recordset
> object and some integer.  The integer is almost certainly due to one
> of the params to Execute() being specified as a BYREF.

Thanks.  The opacity of the COM object is bugging me, but I'll get
there in time (I hope)...

> > I'm now having difficulty understanding why the GetRows method
> > seems to return COLUMNS!  Note also that the script output is
> > not "inline" as you would expect from its position in the code.
>
> GetRows() returns a sequence of rows.  Each row contains columns.  In
> the example above, you are looping over each row, and when you print
> each row you get a tuple of objects - one for each column in the
> recordset.

I understand that's how it's SUPPOSED to work.  I just changed my data,
so the queried table contains four rows and three columns.  And look
what I now see:

(<COMObject Execute>, -1)

which is why I said GetRows appears to be returning COLUMNS: as I
iterate over the result of GetRows, it would seem logical (captain)
for the tuple to be the columns of that row.  But this is very
definitely NOT what I am seeing.  Which makes me confused.

> Hope this helps...
>
> Mark.

Well, any further light on this would be useful.  In case it matters,
this is Python 1.5.2 on Windows NT4.0, service pack 4, and the ODBC
data source is an Access 97 database.

The code I used is copied below for completeness.

regards
 Steve

<HTML><BODY>
<% @LANGUAGE=Python %>
<SCRIPT Language="Python" RUNAT=Server>
db = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
db.Open("Billing")
rs = db.Execute("select * from project")
Response.Write(repr(rs))
RowList=rs[0].GetRows()
for Row in RowList:
        Response.Write("<p> %s\n" % repr(Row))