Haskell or Python!

Sunil Hadap Sunil.Hadap at cui.unige.ch
Thu Feb 3 04:03:52 EST 2000

Hello!

I am introduced to Haskell and Functional Programming by thread
"Readable Functional Languages". Going through the tutorial of Haskell
(I am still learning Python) I am really fascinated by the concept as
it might serve my purpose.

I am developing an animation system. I was almost convinced that
Python will be the embedded scripting language for the purpose, till I
was introduced to Haskell. My main feature in the animation system is
visual programming. The animator can build the complex logic of
animation by scripting (literally connecting attributes of nodes
through engines). This forms a complex graph (should be directed
acyclic graph) of dependencies. I was wondering how to handle this and
break any cyclic dependencies while implementing it in python. But the
notion of the Functional Programing allows me this without worrying
about the dependencies etc.

I am confused which is better language for the purpose. Here are more
specific questions

- Can Haskell be used as interpreted language so that the animator
  can code interactively in the animation software
- Is Haskell matured to provide good support to libraries such as I/O
  GUI, network like Python
- Can I use traditional OO concepts in Haskell though it is Functional
- Is it dynamically typed. I mean can I get full information of type
and
  its constituents (members) dynamically.
- Is it a good idea to mix Python and Haskell

I hope I am making some sense. Thanks a lot.

Sunil

--
"Live as if you would die tomorrow,
learn as if you would live forever."