Life's better without braces

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Feb 22 16:01:10 EST 2000

In article <20000222213539.C4549 at stopcontact.palga.uucp>,
Gerrit Holl  <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote:
><quote name="Andrew M. Kuchling" date="951150482">
>>
>> [2] I occasionally think about this problem.  The setup: GvR was far
>> too profligate in adding functions to bltinmodule.c that could have
>> been written in pure Python instead.  So, how many built-in functions
>> can you re-implement in pure Python?
>
>These are possible:
>
>abs, callable, chr, delattr, divmod,
>execfile, filter, getattr, hex, input, int, isinstance, issubclass,
>len, list, long, map, max, min, oct, range, raw_input, reduce, reload,
>repr, setattr, tuple, vars.
>
>These aren't:
>
>apply, buffer, coerce, compile, complex, dir, eval, exit, globals, hash,
>id, intern, locals, round, slice, type, xrange

Hmmm?  What makes you say that range() is possible in pure Python and
xrange() is not?  (I think the latter requires a class with __getitem__
but is otherwise doable.)
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Love does not conquer all.  Humans are extremely flexible, usually more
flexible than we're willing to admit.  But some flexibility comes at a
cost, and sometimes that cost is more than we can bear.