(Easy ??) question about class definition

Gregoire Welraeds greg at perceval.be
Tue Feb 29 12:13:37 EST 2000

Hello again,

I think the problem I have is common in OOP... but I don't have any
beginning of solution.

I got the following problem. Imagine i want to manage a menu. So I define
2 classes. First one is the class menu and is basicly a list of entry. The
second is the item class representing each menu entry. When an item of my
menu is selected, I want to execute some action... The action I want to
perform is different for each item. So I get the following

class entry:
	def __init__(self, name, action):
		self.name= name
		self.action= action
	def selected():
		exec(self.action)
	[some methods]

class menu:
	def __init__(self, name):
		self.name= name
		self.list=[]
	[some methods]

Now self.action is a reference to something I have to define elsewhere. It
could be a separate function... but then, the function is not bound to a
class as method are and everybody can use it. And I don't want to have
each action to be define in the class.
thus the problem is that each action i bound with an instance of the class
item.
I know there are some solutions in Design Pattern but I don't know howto
implement this in Python.

thanks for your answer.

--
Life is not fair
But the root password helps

Gregoire Welraeds
greg at perceval.be
Perceval Development team
Perceval Technologies sa/nv	Tel: +32-2-6409194
Rue Tenbosch, 9			Fax: +32-2-6403154
B-1000 Brussels			general information:   info at perceval.net
BELGIUM				technical information: helpdesk at perceval.net