Comparing file objects: what is compared?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Fri Feb 11 15:36:40 EST 2000

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote on 950270973:

> Gerrit Holl writes:
>  > >>> fp1=open('/tmp/file_one', 'w')
>  > >>> fp2=open('/tmp/file_two', 'w')
>  > >>> cmp(fp1, fp2)
>  > -1
>  > >>> cmp(fp2, fp1)
>  > 1
>  >
>  > What is compared? The date of creation? The filename? The contents?
>
>   The ID is used for when nothing else is meaningful (and clear).
> It's arbitrary & consistent.  ;)

This does not seem to be documented anywhere! Am I missing it or am I right?
I think it should be documented, something like:
"""
If objects being larger or smaller seems meaningless, like with file objects,
the result is pretty arbitrary: the internal id (as returned by the id()
builtin function) is used.
"""

Or as a FAQ. Or a an IAQ, since it's not asked Frequently but Infrequently
instead :)

regards,
Gerrit.

--