Problem with Emacs mode, at start only

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 16 23:56:59 EST 2000

Justin Sheehy <dworkin at ccs.neu.edu> écrit:

> François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > When, in Emacs, I do not have `*Python*' window initialised, or more
> > precisely, when there is no process running in that window, then `C-c C-c'
> > in the window where is the Python source invariably fails the first time,

> Whenever I start using python-mode, I do a `C-c !' to start the Python
> interpreter.  Subsequent invocations of `C-c C-c' or `C-c |' will use
> that interpreter window.

Thanks, it's neater.  But yet, shouldn't `C-c C-c' just succeed?  The user
should ideally not be forced into that extra, introductory command.

P.S. - By the way, `C-c C-c' is an unfortunate binding, even if quick
to type.  In the source window, it starts the Python interpreter, or at
least, uses it.  In the interpreter window, it raises a signal and kills it.
So, if you just happen to forget to move the cursor to the proper window,
you get contradictory behaviour, which is a bit irritating.  And since
those commands may also change the current window, errors are more likely
than they should normally be.  I'm not sure of what is best thing to do,
but my feeling is that a change is needed, somewhere, to alleviate this.