Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Thomas Hamelryck thamelry at vub.ac.be
Tue Feb 8 04:30:34 EST 2000

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
: While you are promoting Ruby, also consider Corbascript, Pike, Lua,
: Guile and Squeak. You'd better cover your bases!

Python is certainly a very powerfull language with many virtues, but I
also think that its popularity at least partly is due to the "butterly
flapping its wing effect". This is true for almost any language for that
matter (take e.g. C++ and objective C). You mention Squeak. If Squeak
continues to mature I think it will be a formidable competitor for python.
At the moment, it lacks the huge amount of modules that are available for
python (which is one the most attractive features of the language).

Cheers,

---
Thomas Hamelryck    Institute of Molecular and Structural Biology
Aarhus University   Gustav Wieds Vej 10C
DK-8000 Aarhus C    Denmark