Which GUI?

bjorn bjorn at roguewave.com
Tue Feb 22 12:32:01 EST 2000

ndev42 at my-deja.com wrote:

> [suggesting Tkinter interface to all other GUI toolkits similar to
> what's been done in Piddle and the DB-SIG]
>
> I'm sure there are nasty side-effects to that. Ideas?

There are only two obvious ones, (i) you'd have to start by defining a
Tkinter interface, including semantics, that is independent of Tcl/Tk;
and (ii) since not all GUI toolkits would support all of the new
"Tkinter" interface, many users would end up having to program to a
'lowest-common-denominator'.

Personally, I think this would be a "good thing" for Python, and for GUI
toolkits that allready have Python bindings, a first approximation
(though not trivial) would be relatively easy to prototype...

-- bjorn