Comparing perl and python

Bill Tutt billtut at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 23 04:27:17 EST 2000

> From: Mridul [mailto:mridulj at newgen.co.in]

>  Here's something to chew on as far as speed is concerned:
>
>  Python2C
>     More recently, Bill Tutt and Greg Stein developed Python2C. This
>     translates Python to C code. Mostly, the C code ends up
> manipulating
>     PyObjects in much the same way as if you had recreated
> the Python code
>     in C using the high level Python / C API. That is, you'll
> get a speed
>     up from the fact that there's no byte-code interpreter loop, but
>     that's less than most people expect. (There's been a lot
> of talk about
>     global program analysis and type deduction. When these ideas bear
>     fruit, more dramatic speed ups will become possible.)

Its available from http://lima.mudlib.org/~rassilon/p2c.
However I wouldn't recommend its use in production code as of yet. There are
still some serious known outstanding bugs that need to get fixed.
(Including the fact that I can't debug p2c itself in MSVC due to a debug
symbol limit)

If you'd like to help by working on the code that is always appreciated
since my time on the project is limited due to this annoying thing called
fulltime work.

Bill