Please do not Bcc: ListServers

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Feb 13 05:18:43 EST 2000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 05:26:52PM -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I notice that I seem to receive some python-related messages via the list
> server yet I must be receiving a Bcc rather than a To: or Cc.

> The only problem with that is that my mailbox rules don't kick in.  I can
> repair that, but it would work more easily if I knew the addressing that had
> the message get to me, especially when I don't know any of the
> explicitly-named people!

If you want a sure-fire way of finding messages that were delivered by the
python-list, dont check on To: or Cc:, instead check on Sender:. This would
be 'python-list-admin at python.org' for all messages that came directly from
the python list.

You might lose that header, if you have an elaborate and insane way of doing
forwarding, using umbrella lists or very strange mailservers, but that's
fairly unlikely. If it doesn't work, you can try using the 'X-Been-There:'
header, though it's not as fool-proof, and the mail may contain more than
one of them (in the newest Mailman)

Now you just need a mailprogram that can filter on that... Good ones can ;)

procmail-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>