IDLE and Hooks in apps for usage of My Favorite Editor

Jeff Blaine jblaine at shell2.shore.net
Wed Feb 9 10:16:10 EST 2000

Am I the only one who chooses specifically not to use IDEs (IDLE included)
because they don't allow you to edit files with your editor of preference?

Am I the only one on the planet who thinks allowing a programmer to use
his/her editor of choice in applications is VERY important?

I've seen _one_ application (TkRat, an IMAP client done in Tcl/Tk) in a
long long time that allows calling an external editor.

Is this a difficult task which I just don't understand the complexities of?