Numerical Python install problem

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Feb 18 23:28:11 EST 2000

Robert Schweikert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Python 1.5.2 on RH 6.1 distro. Used the Python rpm to get
> it running instead of building it myself. I also installed the Distutils
> with no problem. But now when I try to install Numerical Python Version
> 14 I get the following errors:

Note that there is also a an RPM for Numerical Python.  I have a (probably
out-of-date) version on my system.

$ rpm -qi python-numpy
Name        : python-numpy                 Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.11                              Vendor: (none)
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Thu Apr  8 20:16:09 1999
Install date: Fri May  7 21:28:12 1999      Build Host: localhost
Group       : Development/Languages/Python   Source RPM: python-numpy-1.11-2.src.rpm
Size        : 2753381                          License: Distributable
Packager    : Travis Oliphant <Oliphant.Travis at mayo.edu>
URL         : http://www.python.org/topics/scicomp/numpy.html
Summary     : Python numerical facilities
Description :
NumPy is a collection of extension modules to provide high-performance
multidimensional numeric arrays to the Python programming language.

> gcc -c -I/usr/include/python1.5 -IInclude -g -O2 -fPIC
> Src/_numpymodule.c Src/arrayobject.c Src/ufuncobject.c
> In file included from /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25,
>                  from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from /usr/include/python1.5/Python.h:59,
>                  from Src/ufuncobject.c:14:
> /usr/include/linux/errno.h:4: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory
> distutils.errors.DistutilsExecError: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

> Any ideas wht could be going on here?

Well, it looks like gcc can't find asm/errno.h.

First run 'loacate errno.h | grep asm'.  If that command finds errno.h,
you could try adding a -I flag to the gcc command somehow.

For example,

$ locate errno.h | grep asm
/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/asm-i386/errno.h
/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/include/asm/errno.h

I would try adding -I/usrr/i386-glibc20-linux/include/

Then again, it could be a completely different problem.

---Tom