Which GUI?

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Fri Feb 18 08:26:59 EST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> > Well, it's little too cumbersome in terms of size of redistribution (as far
> > as Windows is concerned). It has a 1.7meg pyd, not to mention various other
> > pyd's as well.
>
> Tcl/Tk is much larger.
> $ du -chs /usr/X11R6/lib/{tk8.0,tk4.2,libtk8.0.a,libtk4.2.a} /usr/lib/python/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
<snipped comparison of .so's on a GNU/Linux machine>

Gerrit, is there a reason you're comparing Win32 dll's with (what I
presume are) ELF GNU/Linux shared objects? Do you think it serves any kind
of purpose?

> What about pyQT?

QT isn't free on Win32. Thus, portable free programs cannot use PyQT.
On the other hand, portable free programs cannot use PyGTK either, but
GTK does run on Win32, so it's only a matter of interest, I suppose.

> I think I'll make another point 'can be subclassed' in my comparison.

Why? In Python, subclassing is much less important then in other OO
languages. For example, while widgets in Tkinter can be subclassed, the
official effbotic advice is not to do so (and, I must say, I agree).
Not to mention that Tkinter is built on _tkinter, whose widgets cannot
be subclassed, so here is another point to the pointlessness of the
subclass-ability.

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.