[Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib string.py,1.46,1.47

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Feb 14 13:28:43 EST 2000

Adrian Eyre writes:

> I was refering to the connection with my original post about the join()
> method being added to the string object, when it more logically goes
> on a list/sequence...
>
> e.g.

> ['this', 'is', 'a', 'test']
>
> ...seems reasonable, but...

> 'this is a test'
>
> ...doesn't. If it were on a list, you could do things like this:

> 'a, b, c'

And what should ['a',3,None,[Tim(1),Tim(2)]].join(';') return?

It would be most bizarre to have a method on list that only
worked for certain kinds of lists, (and guessing your intent is
the specialty of that other language).

Your needs are met by (", ").join("a:b:c".split(":")). Requiring
the arg to be a list-of-strings is restrictive, but not bizarre.

- Gordon