Simple client/server exchanging objects

Vetle Roeim vetler at ifi.uio.no
Mon Feb 14 12:07:45 EST 2000

on 2000-02-14, thomas wrote:

> > Sound like CORBA would do the trick here.
> >
> > Either that, or you just serialize your objects, push them over the
> > link and then read the data back into new objects.
> >
> > Perhaps the latter example would be best. You avoid having to learn
> > CORBA ;)
>
> Yeah, that`s what I thought, but the serialize-bit isn`t the problem.
> The server/client-part is. How do I set up a server listening to a port,
> waiting for clients to connect and upload objects??
>
> I haven`t made any server/client software so far so I need the basics
> and then some .... :->

aha! well.. I haven't done this Python, but it's probably not that
different from other languages.

try looking in the Socket Programming HOWTO
(<url:http://www.python.org/doc/howto/sockets/sockets.html>).

and the documentation for the socket module
(<url:http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-socket.html>)

there may exist other useful modules, but you'll have to look around.

vr