string.py

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 14:57:47 EST 2000

While we're at it, I've just noticed that some things aren't string
methods that you might expect to be.

The heuristic:

>>> for i in dir(string):
...  if i in dir(""): continue
...  if type(getattr(string,i)) not in [types.FunctionType]: continue
...  print i

produces:

atof
atoi
atol
capwords
center
expandtabs
joinfields
ljust
rjust
splitfields
zfill

atof/atoi/atol I can understand - use float/int/long instead.
splitfields, joinfields and zfill were obsolete anyway.

That leaves capwords, center, ljust, rjust and expandtabs. Is there a
reason for their omission?

just-curiously-ly y'rs
Michael