does opensource move faster with python?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Feb 28 07:44:30 EST 2000

			.
>In any case, python numbers are growing exponentially.  There's
>a new book about every month, and the IPC8 python conference
>had double last years showing.
The factor was actually larger, almost
frighteningly so:  something in the
range of 2.4.

>> ARE there projects out there using python as a prototyping language
>> with the possible intention of discarding it eventually and rewriting
>> in C?
Yes.  'Happens all the time.

>I doubt it, though it would certainly be possible.
>
>I can't think of any situation where I would use python purely as a
>prototyping language, and then discard the python.  Except in very
>unusual cases, there really isn't any disadvantage in a final product
>being written in multiple languages.  On the contrary there are many
While I'm one of the world's most extreme
advocates of multi-language development,
it certainly has its disadvantages.  The
first to constrain progress often is
institutional rejection.  We're working
on that, of course.
			.
			.
			.
>The whole process goes 4 to 7 times faster in Python than in C or C++
>depending on whose estimates you look at.  My measurements have
>indicated only about 4 to 1 development speed improvement, but that
>was after 12 years of C++ experience and about 2 months of Python
>experience.  I'm sure the ratio has increased for me since then but I
I like to repeat measured data, whenever
I find it.
			.
			.
			.