Real Problems with Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Feb 16 00:55:06 EST 2000

[Bijan Parsia]
> Er..Just out of curiosity, what *can't* you model in Scheme? :)

[Tim]
> Smalltalk <wink>.

[Neel Krishnaswami]
> I know this is a joke,

Shhh!  Don't spoil the fun for Bijan <wink>.

> but wasn't Scheme invented because Sussman wanted to understand
> how Smalltalk worked by implementing something like it in MacLisp?
> I thought that the Smalltalk and Scheme designers were in regular
> communication.

I had heard the latter before too, but really don't know.  Sure sounds
plausible, even likely.  Language designers are generally quite friendly
with each other!  In other lines of business, this would be called
price-fixing <wink>.

"hey-larry-you-put-in-array-context-and-i'll-use-whitespace-for-
    block-structure"-ly y'rs  - tim, possibly quoting 1990 email