Python misconceptions in IBM Ruby article...

Daniel Berlin dan at cgsoftware.com
Fri Feb 18 00:32:41 EST 2000

> > * Proper OO languages do not use white space to delimit blocks,
> >   and use semicolons and block delimiters.
>
> Proper languages put semicolons _between_ statements not at the
> end of statements.
That's it, i'm taking action.
Effective tomorrow morning, i'm gonna write a small language where
whitespace is ignored, statements are meaningless, and the delimiters are
;,{, and }
All programs that compile will simply core dump.
It'll be a proper OO language.
Why, you ask?
Because it doesn't use whitespace to delimit it's blocks.
Regardless of the fact that their is not even a hint of any kind of OO,
it'll be proper OO, because it uses ";" to end statements, and "{" and "}"
to delimit blocks.
Why will all compiled programs core dump?
Well, actually, this is a feature.
Whenever someone tries to complain about the whitespace, you simply have
them write large applications in my language, which will promptly core
dump after they spend hours writing many lines of code, for no good
reason they'll have an epiphany, cry, and come be productive members of
the python community.
Who wants to bet the first program written is a mysterious whitespace
eating nanovirus?

Must-be-late-cause-this-seemed-reasonable-ly yours,
Dan