identity of the caller?

Bob Horvath bob at horvath.com
Fri Feb 25 13:44:57 EST 2000

Warren Postma wrote:

> > I'm doubt it too. I suspect there is a more clever way to do it, just that
> > I am not clever enough to at the moment to think of it.
>
> Sometimes the obvious is just too obvious.
>
> Senders call receivers, and pass a reference to themselves as a PARAMETER to
> the function, called Sender. Who called me? Well, I'll just look at the
> parameter 'Sender'.

Yes, that is probably end up doing something like that, although I appreciate
people showing me how to do it the ugly way, as I had requested.

I am trying to create something that is modelled after something already done
in an internal tool that we use.  If I ever want to get it so that others can
use and contribute to it, is would be nice if it were similar to what they
currently use.  Currently, they don't have to specify who they are when they
send something, and I was trying to figure out a way to model it in Python
without having to change that mindset.  Without going into the boring details,
I hope that helps to understand why I decided to open up the kludge closet
looking for another tool.