Porting Python to non-pc platforms (AS/400)

Scott Anderson sanderson at ttm.com
Tue Feb 22 19:48:03 EST 2000

skip at mojam.com wrote:
> How about springing for the C compiler and doing the port?  There's not
> really a chance to <wink> after that question.  I presume that the C
> compiler for the AS/400 isn't free.  Consequently, the port is not likely
> to happen in the traditional manner (person x discovers Python's not
> available on his favorite platform, y, so he downloads GCC and ports it).
> Consequently, the port will have to come (mostly) from the community that
> uses the platform and has the bucks to spring for the compiler.

Well, first I would have to convince the CEO that we need Python. Then,
I would need to convince him that we need Python on the 400. :-)

> Just out of curiosity, what language have you standardized on, and on what
> platforms?

We haven't yet. I was considering moving to Java from a mixture of RPG,
VB, and other assorted crap. That was before I discovered Python.  I
think I may go for a mixture, anyway. Java has the enterprise-class
application server availability (Zope is nice [and I use it here], but
it really can't compare to something like BEA WebLogic or Apple's
WebObjects IMO), while Python is great for scripting and has a much
lighter GUI footprint. Swing is an abomination.

Regards,

-scott