When to compile regex?

Tom Culliton culliton at clark.net
Mon Feb 28 15:36:26 EST 2000

A common performance trick I use is to not just precompile all my
regular expressions, but to even precompute the search or match method
reference (e.g. - asrch = regex.compile(arg).search).  Something that
even caching can't help with.  With a match or search in an inner loop
this can make a significant difference in your throughput, and it's an
optimization that can actually improve readability.