Which GUI?

J.C.Travers J.C.Travers at durham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 08:40:22 EST 2000

Vetle Roeim wrote:

> * Fredrik Lundh
> > J.C.Travers <J.C.Travers at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > No, I've tried Tkinter, PyQT, wxPython, some pyGTK. What I really meant
> > > was that in terms of the usual quality of interfaces to python modules,
> > >
> > > Tkinter is the worst I have seen.
> >
> > you mean
> >
> >     widget = WidgetFactory(master, options...)
> >     widget.manager(geometry options)
> >
> > is the worst GUI interface you've seen?  that's
> > a rather unusual attitude.  please elaborate.
Yes, it really is. The example you give isn't comprehensive enough to
demonstrate. But The code layout of a functional app, with a menu,
toolbar, statusbar and then whatever view you put inside, in MY OPINION
does. I like a simple, elegant object-oriantated approach. Thats why I
like python. Now I haven't used Tkinter a lot, I was put off rather
quickly by the whole Tcl idea. (i.e. it being a wrapper around another
language), So maybe I am not qualified, I have however written a few
little apps in it and then re-written them in PyQT or wxPython, and
found them much more statisfying.

Cheers,
John