about the multiple posts

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu Feb 10 04:11:36 EST 2000

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 05:30:46PM -0600, Derek Moeller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 08:38:23PM -0500, Xenophanes wrote:
> > if you want, but Netscape is the best you will find.

> MUAFlameWar!!!
> ..though tis hard to bring about battles in c.l.py if it's not about
> whitespace...

Normally I'd agree, c.l.py is a place for openness, free flow of ideas, and
very weird tastes as well as the mainstream one. Live and let die, in peace,
regardless of success or popularity, and that 'for heavens sake lets all
keep an open mind' attitude. I try to be very tolerant towards a lot of
things (unfortunately, i'm also loudmouthed and arrogant, so people dont
notice it when i'm tolerant ;P

But Netscape is just bloody too inviting a target! The only thing good(*)ish
thing about Netscape is that it is incredibly feature-rich. However, this
starts all kinds of warning lights in my head, and that creeping
'oh-my,-that's-*godda*-be-horrible-code' feeling i always get when i see
advanced cases of featuritis. I'm afraid to upgrade my netscape, nowadays,
fearful of whatever features i have to identify and turn off once i get it
running ;P

And using Netscape for mail and news really goes too far. Maybe it's the
best choice for Windows users; I've seen the problems people at work have
with Eudorka and Pegasus and such, and how they are very casual with the
conventions, if not the standards, that ruled the mail world before they
came 'round. But if Netscape is the best choice, I'd suggest someone build a
real mail and/or news client, for windows users. Using Python, of course.

*) Good in a technical, nerdy sense, as in a reason to use it. Netscape has
been very good for the World Wide Web, of course, which in turn has been
very good for the internet in general, which indirectly gave me this job. To
be truthful, i probably would've gotten this job regardless of the success
of the web (i can remember gopher!) but it wouldn't be as much fun ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>