Tcl (Tkinter) problems

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Feb 16 18:08:05 EST 2000

Mladen Bestvina <bestvina at math.utah.edu> writes:

> I can't get python to see the file init.tcl.
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "SnapPeaGUI.py", line 1118, in ?
>     root = Tk()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 886, in
> __init__
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
> TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:

No directories listed? That's odd.

> This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Possibly, or it might mean that Python doesn't look for the version of
Tcl you have.

Maybe someone has seen this before. But if not, it would be helpful if
you told us:

	What platform you're running (Linux, I would guess, but what
		distribution?)
	Did you install Tcl & Python both from binary packages? If so,
		were they from the same or different sources?

I suspect that with Tcl 8.3, you're going to have to patch something
in Python (probably a very simple fix, but I'm not sure) and compile
from source anyway.

--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA