78 chars per line are enough! Period.

Peter Funk pf at artcom-gmbh.de
Thu Feb 17 11:44:33 EST 2000

quoted from the patch submission guide lines pages on www.python.org:

   Make sure all lines fit in 78 columns.

I can't agree more.  I'm so old, that I still remember my punch card times :)

Now let's see how it looks, when I fire up Python on my computer:

$ python
Python 1.5.2+ (#2, Feb 14 2000, 08:50:31)  [GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.
2 release)] on linux2

Am I the only one bothered by this excedingly long and ugly broken line?
Since SuSE sells more than 100,000 copies of their Linux CDs each time,
I think there must be more people, which see such an overly verbose prompt.

Now after several years I thought, it must be easy to fix this anoying
detail had look into the sources.  I think this can be done in
.../src/Python/getversion.c.  However, Py_GetVersion can also be accessed
through the 'sys' builtin module.

Now I wonder, whether it would break any existing python applications,
if Py_GetVersion would return a string containing a newline.

Regards, Peter
P.S.: I feel nitpicking today. ;-)
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Tel: 04222 9502 70, Fax: -60