TKinter on Win98 and os.popen

David Fisher python at rose164.wuh.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 3 08:50:19 EST 2000

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 2/3/00, 6:59:02 AM, "Damian Dobroczyñski" <dd at ar-kari.put.poznan.pl>
wrote regarding TKinter on Win98 and os.popen :

> Problem description:

> script:

> import os
> f = os.popen('python -c "print 1"','r')

> on Win98 Python in IDLE shell ends up with exception:

> "Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
>     f = os.popen('python -c "print 1"','r')
> OSError: (0, 'Error')"

> Other 'popens' with other commands also fails. Is it normal behaviour
when
> using Tkinter mod?

This one's in the faq.  It's a bug on win9x with the popen command.
On win9x, popen expects a console to redirect i/o to.  In idle and
Tkinter, there is no console open.  I spent about two days beating my
head against this on, before i realized it wasn't my fault <0.1wink>.
The faq sugests some fixes, but i just started using os.system and
redirecting to/from a file.  Which is ugly, but that's win32 for you.
The microsoft site also has some info about this.
David Fisher